Thursday, November 16, 2017

From Outdated to Farmhouse: Sideboard Upcycle

From Outdated to Farmhouse: Sideboard Upcycle



The dining set that I finished early this fall had a sideboard/buffet that came along with it. The piece was in great condition and I really love the idea of having a sideboard in the dining room for storage. You can check out the original post about the dining set makeover HERE
This sideboard needed some work to bring it into my vision and this decade so I'm giving it its own post to show all the steps!

This is a before shot of the sideboard. It is in great condition... the doors and drawers all work fine! The hard ware and the carving on the drawer fronts needs to go. So, the first step is to remove all the hardware including the hinges. All those pieces would be replaced later. Then. the doors were taken off and the drawers removed.






The top surface was then sanded down to bare wood.  Next it was stained in Carbon Gray wood stain and finished with a few coats of wipe on Polyurethane. The rest of the body was then painted a country gray calk paint, then wiped down with a dark glaze. It was then finished with a matte polyacrlic.




The drawer fronts were carved into pretty deep. So, to get them to be a nice flat drawer front, I had to fill the carved parts with wood filler. Once the wood filler was dry, it was sanded smooth by hand with a sanding block. This process had to be repeated 3 times to get the drawer fronts to look smooth because the carving was really deep and intricate. Then, the drawers got painted with the same chalk paint. When the paint dried I could still see where I had filled the carvings. So, I took a sanding block and lightly sanded the paint and put another coat of paint on. Once the paint dried, I could tell that I had the nice smooth finish I was looking for.



I added some brushed nickel hardware (Drawer cup-pulls and knobs for the cabinet doors) and new brushed nickel hinges. The cup pulls that I put on the drawer fronts are the same ones that I used for the bar cabinet that I re-did last year... Check out that project HERE




The finished project really gives this piece an updated look.
Here's another look at the before and after!

Don't forget to check out the full project!
From Outdated to Farmhouse: Dining Set Makeover

 Green Butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment